Sunday, July 16, 2006

Family Field Trip

We are packing the car and heading to Mammoth Cave, Kentucky in the morning. We are car-camping down south and spending two nights under the stars at Mammoth Cave National Park. Car-camping is the lazy person's version of roughing it. We drive into the campground, park the car and set up the tent in a clearing next to the car. There is a firepit at every campsite and sometimes even a grill. The best part is, bathrooms. There are bathrooms and showers just a quick walk down the road from our campsite. The facilities are no better than your basic public restroom, but it's far better than the tree on the left or the hole you have to dig if you're the true crunchy granola type.

DH prefers to rough it in a way that includes not showering for a week. That is a bit over the top for me. I've been there, done that. I'm not ashamed to admit I like to sit on porcelain while doing my business. If I were I guy, it may be different. No sitting needed and the woodland view is better.

We will drive all day Monday, tromp around the park and take some cave tours on Tuesday, then back in the car on Wednesday. It's a short trip, just long enough to see something cool then come home. The 8 hour drive (one-way) will be a bummer, but we are used to it. There aren't too many interesting things to see in the Midwest besides Chicago and since it's our hometown, we need to take a journey to see something new. A few years ago we car-camped to South Dakota and saw the Corn Palace, Mount Rushmore, Wall Drugs and Devil's Tower. Funny how our vacations have become school-like field trips. We are not the beach bum types, more like couch potatoes who need a destination and an itinerary to be motivated to leave home.

Since this is an infertility blog and I've been remiss in talking much about my infertility lately, I'll leave you with this update: I'm starting birth control pills tonight. I'll take them for a few weeks then take some meds to suppress follicle growth while also growing my uterine lining, when the lining is nice and plush, the doctor will take a biopsy and run tests to see if I am having implantation problems. To my peeps in the infertility world, this is also called a mock cycle. I'll leave it at that for now. Just wanted to let you know that things are starting to move forward again and I'm rather excited and also scared out of my wits.

4 comments:

Meg said...

I never really knew what a mock cycle was.. they don't do them here, I guess. Or maybe they just didn't do it for us, seeing as we know exactly what the issue is? Hmm... Doctors... never can figure them.

juliana said...

Have a great trip - i love those kind of trips:) Be safe:)
I am so excited that you are starting things again. You will bein my prayers as always.
Can not wait to hang out when you get back!

StellaNova said...

I'm glad to hear that you're starting again now. And your trip sounds ... whilst somewhat 'earthy', like a lot of fun. Have a great time.

Anonymous said...

Hope that you had a fun trip! You definitely deserve some R and R with the hubby (even though camping involves some work!).
Jill