Thursday, July 13, 2006

Celebrate with Me

I realize this, on the heels of my last post is a bit bi-polarish, but I'm feeling good today and wanted to share it with you and invite you to celebrate with me.

Drum roll, please (No, I'm not pregnant- put it out of your mind people, I'm on the never-gets-pregnant-team, remember?)

Continue with Drum Roll, please:

I just finished my last graduate class. TA-DA!
That's the news. I'm officially, higherly ed-ja-camated.
I can now check the box that says,
Highest degree of education: MA (Master's of Arts in Educational Administration)

I took my final exam this morning and afterward, slowly walked to my car feeling weightless and happy.

I'm glad it's an MA instead of an MS. When I got my bachelor's degree, it was a BS (Bachelor's of Science in Education.) Every time I think of it, my mind says, "big deal, you got a degree that's BS" as in bull$*#%. MS felt like a Ms. as in, the name women give themselves when they are being mysterious and not divulging if they are married or single. I've always resented the fact that my name, Mrs.Lassie tells the world that I'm married while Mr.Lassie gets off scot-free and can keep it a secret if he chooses to. (Okay, now I'm thinking, why would he choose to, but that's a different post.) The feminist in me thinks we should have one title like the guys. Maybe instead of Mrs., Ms. and Miss, we could be Mo. Let's roll it on our tongue for a moment,

Mo Lassie,
Mo Lassie.

I like it. Think it could catch on?

Anyway, that's my news, folks. I've completed the coursework for my Master's degree. Now, don't go thinking my blog will get smarter overnight. I'm afraid you're stuck with the random, meandering, grammatically incorrect way I write. I got a graduate degree, not a brain transplant.

And lest you think I'm truly on a manic high, these are the things I'm trying to ignore while celebrating my accomplishment:

1. That I have to take (and pass) a state certification exam and a graduate comprehension exam before they give me my diploma

2. I finished my degree just in time to realize I want out of education and plan on changing careers next year

And finally...

3. I started the grad program the same year we started trying for a family. Way back then, I was in a hurry to finish before the kids came. Finishing years later, sans kids, is definitely bittersweet.

But, (insert picture of me skipping merrily, singing, "tra-la-la") I'm not thinking of those things. I'm focusing on my accomplishment and thanking my lucky stars that today I can say, "infertility did not beat me down and make me roll over and die. I kept on keeping on."

I have a Master's degree.
I am Mo Lassie, hear me roar.

6 comments:

juliana said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

juliana said...

oops pressed enter to soon!
what an accomplishment you should be so proud of yourself.
we will all have to get together soon and celebrate - before Silas arrives:)
I love the MO. title.
Enjoy!
Love,
juliana

Anonymous said...

Yo- Mo Lassie....

I hope you realise that you totally rock. Overcoming all the crap that we deal with with IF and accomplishing what you have done is A VERY BIG DEAL.

Yay you! I'm so very proud of you! x

StellaNova said...

Well done!! I know the hard work that goes into these degrees - the relief of finishing (almost) is positively liberating. You should be very proud of yourself.

My first degree was a BEd (Bachelor of Education) and my second degree was a MEd (Master of Ed.). I don't know if it's the same for you guys, but I graduated to become a tampon!!

That's why I'm going for the third - gotta move on from that association ... again though, congratulations.

Meg said...

Congratulations Lassie!!

(PSST. That's what Ms was designed for. The one title. That's why we should all use it. I do. And I use my maiden name too. Shock horror.

;P. Just teasing. But I do.)

Love to you.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »