Wednesday, June 07, 2006

If You Can't Say Something Nice...

Summer is the season to unwind and relax. I've done my best to follow these guidelines but a few thoughts keep plaguing me so I thought I'd share them with you in an effort to get them out of my head.

First off, I need to lose weight. I'm very uncomfortable with my body. I suppose these feelings may come from my experience of my body's betrayal via infertility, blah, blah, blah. No dime-store psycho analysis needed here. It's obvious, my body's a mess, not even a fixer-upper, probably just a lemon. Never going to work properly, would trade it in for a more reliable model if I ever got the chance. And since we're onto this stellar metaphor, let me add, I've got so much junk in my trunk (ahem, a big booty) I'm not allowed to walk down streets with signs that say, No Oversize Loads. Yeah, I'm no fan of my bod these days.

These feelings have become somewhat exaggerated since last weekend when a matronly woman from church pulled me aside and in her best, motherly voice said,

"I can tell you have gained weight. I can see it. You must lose this weight."

I was speechless, mostly because we were in church and four letter words (besides God's Will) are frowned upon. So, I've been dwelling on my extra pounds and planning ways to cut calories and be more active. On a positive note, I've been riding my bike and walking to stores and places that I would normally drive. I've even considered getting of these. I haven't bought it yet, not quite sure I want to completely jump ship and go from normal urban gal to Super Urban Gal, through rain, sleet, snow and dark of night- always pushing the grocery cart. Nope that's not me, not yet.

Okay, this post has me practically winded, everything is out of shape, including my typing fingers. I'll tell you more about what weighs on my mind later. Now, off to plan ways to avoid matronly advice, better known in the IF world as- assvice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe someone said that to you. I think I would have either slapped her or cried. Probably cried. That is one cute red bicycle you have. Enjoy your summer!