Friday, June 16, 2006

Technology: Too Much of a Good Thing

I was offline this week due to difficulties with my cable connection. Difficulties meaning, our neighbors who moved out this week, cancelled their cable so the technician that came to cut their line, cut ours instead. Apparently, attention to detail is not a job requirement with Comcast Chicago. The cable company, in it's endless wisdom kept telling me there was an outage in my neighborhood so they couldn't send anyone to my house. I was told to wait it out while they fixed the problem remotely. This was hard to swallow considering I told the company from the beginning I saw someone on the pole outside CUTTING MY WIRE.

Anyway, I'm back and more than a little embarrassed at the level of discomfort I felt being unplugged for so long. We had no cable TV, no internet access and no house telephone. I felt like a pilgrim, except for the fact that I got many loads of laundry done and none of it entailed soap with lye, hand-wringing or even breaking a sweat. Not very colonial of me, huh?

I guess I just have to accept that I'm a slave to convenience products. In fact, a few years ago when our microwave broke we high-tailed it to Home Depot so fast you'd think I was in labor. I wasn't of course, just in fear of labor, as in, actually cooking something instead of just heating it up. We do cook a bit around here, we are not totally lazy, but when those frozen Taquitos call, I've gotta answer and I'm not waiting for the oven to heat up when the microwave takes a mere 45 seconds. I'm lazy when I'm hungry, so sue me.

To celebrate being back in the world of keyboards and remote controls, DH and I are going out to dinner and a movie tonight. It may be my last hurrah because tomorrow morning...

I'm going flying.

The plane is fixed, weather looks good and I'm out of excuses. DH and I are taking our maiden voyage with him behind the wheel. Is there a wheel in an airplane? I think he steers with something, but I'm not sure it's circular. Blast, it's all so confusing and annoying. How can I be in control of the situation without even knowing what to call the darn things? What should I say, "Hey buddy, keep your hands at 10:00 and 2:00 on that wheel-like thingy that steers the plane." No one has power when using the word - thingy. Sigh.

Nervous? Who's nervous? Not me. I always write a farewell letter to my family and friends before an outing with DH. (By the way, it's in the top right drawer of my bedside table. Tell my dogs I love them them and don't put my cat in a shelter, he's too delicate.)

Those that live in the Midwestern part of the U.S., if you see a small white plane flying a little too low tomorrow morning,

be afraid,
be very afraid
and then run.

I'll take my camera and snap a few pics to share with you so you can see the craziness I call my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*gasp*

OMG, I'm so glad I'm in Australia! hehehe Can't wait to hear how it goes- and glad you're back online as well!

Good luck!