Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A Southern Kind of Sorry

After transfer some doctors tell you to stay in bed for a few days. I've even heard one doctor recommended no bending at the waist. Other doctors say it is okay to move around because it is helpful to get the blood flowing to the embryos and uterus. Patients that move around are supposed to take it easy. My doctor is in the second camp, thus my conundrum is, what does it mean to “take it easy?”

In my book, The Lazy Women's Guide to Life, taking it easy means, DH cooks for me, does the housework and tells me I'm pretty so I don't have to waste valuable energy putting on makeup or doing my hair. Is that going too far? Does that level of laziness mean I am not getting enough blood to my uterus? Maybe I should fix my hair and put on a bit o' blush. Actually, my doctor may not like that because I'd have an artificial glow which would mask a pale face thus not allowing us to see how my blood flow truly is. Dangerous, right? I agree, no makeup. He must just tell me I'm pretty while he is cooking and doing the housework. Now, if only I could get DH to agree.

On the day of transfer, I pretty much glued myself to LifetimeTV. For blood flow, I played with the dogs, walked to the bathroom and read a trashy novel. The day after transfer, yesterday, I did a couple loads of laundry, bathroom, made lunch, trashy novel. Today, my plan is to do a load of laundry, bathroom, trashy novel and TARGET. Yep, I am venturing out. Is that a good idea? I am suffering from an extreme case of cabin fever and feel the need for retail therapy (i.e. shop the Target clearance shelves.) Tomorrow is my last day off work this week. I plan on doing the ultimate in retail therapy, shoe shopping at DSW Shoe Warehouse. Nothing gets my blood moving like a roomful of discounted shoes. And since its strappy sandal season, I'm over the moon.

Which brings me to my question, am I lazy or just an obedient mother-in-waiting? Am I taking it too easy? My southern born and bred husband calls lazy people "sorry" as in, pathetic. An example of it's use in my home:

Me- Why haven'’t you taken out the trash yet?

DH (with southern drawl) BaCawse I'm bein' sorry

Me- Are you going to take the trash out soon?

DH (slowly drawls)
Ah thenk I'm gonna be sorry all day,
but you kin check agin tomorra

Loads of people and things are referred to as sorry in our home. He hasn't used that term in reference to me, not yet at least. In fact, a few times he has told me to go sit down and "take it easy."” Clearly, the definition of taking it easy is subjective. So, off to Target I go and if I drop something, I promise I won't pick it up, just in case bending at the waist really is bad for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I am going through my IVF cycle, I am going to keep rereading "Eggs Benedict Arnold" to make me smile, laugh a little and feel better! Laughter really is the best medicine.
Jill