Saturday, May 27, 2006

Lazy Days of Summer

I'm a teacher and summer is almost here. Some say the best reasons to go into teaching are June, July and August. I admit, there is a definite upside to working in a school. We get all of the major holidays off and a few random ones. Our work day ends by 4:00 and we don't usually have a boss breathing down our necks. Depending on the age of the kids you teach, your 20 little bosses could be breathing down your elbows.

It is difficult being infertile and working in a school. I simply can't get away from children and some days, like after my doctor gives me terrible news, children are the last thing I want to see. My students are disabled and I have all ages in my classroom, kindergarten thru fourth or fifth grade. Most days are very interesting, never a dull moment in my classroom.

Working with the disabled has helped me keep things in perspective. Due to the nature and location of my teaching position, I often have students for up to six years. Their whole elementary experience is spent with me. By the time they are ready to move on, we have usually formed enough of a connection that they feel like part of my family. They don't feel like my children, more like my cousins. After six years my stern teacher phrases have lost some of their shock value. The older students look at me like- is that all you got? Six years is a long time to be with some of these kids. In 10 years of teaching I've only had one student who I wish never went away. Of course, she moved away early with family members who are less than moral. It haunts me.

So I approach every summer break exhausted, excited and terrified of being bored. I generate several to-do/goal lists in a spiral notebook weeks ahead. My failed cycle has inhibited my planning so I decided to take a moment and write my list. Here are my summer to-do's and goals in no particular order.

1. Consult with one more doctor/ investigate laparoscopic surgery
2. Travel to the southern states to visit in-laws
3. Plant flowers and mulch in front yard
4. Ride my very cool red Schwinn bike at least 2x per week
5. Complete at least 2 more stained glass masterpieces
6. Lose 25 pounds
7. Get together with girlfriends at least 2x per week (possibly on the schwinn)
8. Housetrain dog (yes, Fidget is still a work in progress)
9. Spend no more than $250 at IKEA
10. Touch up navy blue living room wall paint
11. Touch up burnt red hallway paint
12. Touch up paint on ceiling
12. Get hypnotized so I never paint home anything other than eggshell

Not bad as a start. I expect to check off at least three of these things by August.
Wish me luck, will keep you posted.
Thanks for being there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love lists- don't you just feel 'in control' when you have it written down? I know I do. As our weather gets colder and the frosts more frequent I envy your summer, I hate winter so much. I hope summer is kind to you and you get your list done!